Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tradition! Tradition!

For years our family put up the Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.
And many times we opened gifts on any day but Christmas day-sometimes because Tracy would be deployed for the holidays, and sometimes just to keep Christmas day peaceful.

We always tried to go to church on Christmas eve if there was a service nearby to attend.

We had certain favorite foods for Christmas and Easter. And always had a red velvet 'birthday' cake for Jesus.

We didn't go trick or treating (sorry- even if I didn't feel Halloween was a celebration of darkness I couldn't in good consciousness let my children go to people's houses and ask for a treat for doing nothing and make a threat if they didn't get one.)

Thanksgiving meant a beautiful table with five kernels of corn at each place setting and a discussion of what we were most thankful for that particular year.

So, over the years we have tried to establish our own traditions. Things that our children would remember and think of as our family ways. As a homeschooling and a military family we tried to make things special for our children in our own ways. Each move meant unpacking quickly to set up house so that things would feel 'normal' in a new place.

And perhaps we have been a bit too philosophical about them. I mean does it really hurt anything to let your kids believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny? And if your kids want to dress up as angry birds and go to the church 'trunk or treat' party is that such a big deal?
I guess I am just getting older and tired of thinking about things too much.

But, I also don't have children I am responsible for anymore.

I think we all have to make decisions based on our consciences and convictions when it comes to these celebrations and activities.

Traditions can be wonderful or they can be horrible if they bind us and we follow them without conscience.


I
know I couldn't bear the thought of erring to the side of darkness or sin.

And I have to live with that.

I made mistakes as a parent and I live with them e.v.e.r.y. day.

Sometimes I grieve over some of those mistakes.

I think that perhaps I idolized my children and just tried too hard to make their lives what mine never was, and what I thought a child's life should be.

And I think one of my greatest failings was trying to make my convictions their convictions.

I wanted them to grieve over sin in all ways, to be convicted that their lives and actions should glorify the God of the Universe.

And I honestly thought that Jesus, the Holy one of God, would not be glorified if they read books glorifying witches, warlocks and vampires.

And I have been thinking about that some lately, about why Tolkien is okay and Rowling is not. Why C.S. Lewis taking us into Narnia is acceptable and Stephanie Meyer's tales transporting us to Forks, Washington are not.

Worldview. That's what I hear somewhere in my head.

But it really doesn't matter now.
What's done is done.
I said no to certain books based on my conscience and I am not sorry.

And, so, now my adult daughters and I are enjoying reading the Harry Potter series together.
They are adults and still enjoy having me read to them each evening. We are having so much fun learning about Harry's world together. Discussing allegory we see that may, or may not, be intended, laughing at the British wit, and just enjoying sharing this together.

I don't think we will be reading about vampires anytime soon however.

No comments:

Post a Comment