Monday, October 17, 2011

There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens

Living in the country again has taught and re-taught me many things this year.

As we are in the middle of Autumn and the trees are starting to loose their leaves I find myself dreading the cold winter months.

I never before realized how important Fall is to trees and plants.
Fall is the best time to transplant, divide and prune.
The trees rob their leaves of food and fortify their roots to keep them healthy through the winter.

So, when the trees look dead in the winter they are really just sleeping and waiting.

I have enjoyed the changes day to day as new trees turn yellow, orange or red.
And sometimes the beauty of this place takes my breath away.
I have been a distracted driver more than once as I have been gazing at the colors out my car window.

But all the while in the back of my mind I have been thinking 'this is not going to last, it is only a short season, so enjoy it to the fullest, winter will be here before you know it.'

And I wish I could learn that lesson in life.

That each season has it's beauty and won't last forever.

And it seems that each time I get used to a season it begins to change.

For two weeks we have been receiving final records and official papers marking Tracy's retirement. The first retirement check came in the mail yesterday and as we turn the corner into this new season of life I am filled with anticipation as well as a bit of fear.

There are so many unique things about our life right now and this year has been a time of change, growth and pruning.

As the trees get ready for their long winter's rest we will be diligently trying to finish this building project and adjusting to so many things new.

I will try to enjoy it all.

To look for the beauty in it and to remind myself that this is only a season and it won't last forever.

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Ecclesiates 3:1-8


No comments:

Post a Comment