Monday, September 5, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down.

Talkin' to myself and feelin' old
Sometimes I'd like to quit
Nothing ever seems to fit
Hangin' around
Nothing to do but frown
Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down.

What I've got they used to call the blues
Nothin' is really wrong
Feelin' like I don't belong
Walkin' around
Some kind of lonely clown
Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down.

From Rainy Days and Mondays by The Carpenters


Sigh~


It rained all day today. The plumbers finished today and we got the
window out of the laundry room and put it in the garage. Tracy also
finished framing the hall and pantry walls. He got the door cut out
yesterday and things are progressing.

But I am a bit blue.


This has been a very hard move for us. So many things have happened
this year and we just haven't had time to really enjoy many of the
good things.

Tracy's retirement will be official on October 1 and it has been hard to
adjust to the fact that we won't be going back to 'that' life. For 20
years we have come here to Virginia for a visit and then returned to
our military life somewhere else. All summer it has felt like we
would be packing up any day and going home. Then the girls started
school and it really hit that we weren't leaving.

This is home now.

We really don't have to move unless we want to. That is hard to get used to. And in the times we might want to move it is hard to be content that we won't be leaving all our troubles behind.

And what am I learning through all of the changes and frustrations and waiting?
I am realizing all over again that contentment is not in your circumstances but in your heart. I am learning that it's okay not to be in a hurry all the time. I am remembering to enjoy the journey because I know I won't get those moments back again.
I really long to be like the Apostle Paul and say:

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:11-13



Now I realize that I have never suffered persecutions or trials as great as so many have and do each day.

But I want to glorify God in the little moments of each day.


And that can be hard when the sun doesn't come out all day.
I am trying to keep thinking of the things that will grow after the rain, both literally and figuratively.

I have tried to edit this post and can't without rewriting the entire thing (not happening). Sometimes Blogger frustrates me. Please forgive the awkward line breaks-they are not intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment