Thursday, January 20, 2011

My beloved

A few years ago my husband and I started celebrating the day we became a couple.

It was the day I gave him my class ring and he committed to write only to me while he was away. It was a snowy, January day, and he was returning to the Army base where he was stationed, almost five hours away.

That was our beginning.

We married 18 months later and our story has it's ups and downs just like most people's do.

It wasn't until five and a half years later that we started to live for God as a couple.

For five years we lived for ourselves.
Always putting our own needs and wants first, and never questioning what God would want.

Never looking into the word of God for counsel.

I was rebellious longer than the soldier was, God changed his heart first. My soldier loved me and wooed me and was so kind while God was working in my heart. He showed me the gospel in his gentleness with me and how he spoke to me each day.

I look back at that time and shame fills my heart.


I was so unlovely. I was rebellious and angry and mean. I didn't want to be married anymore and I didn't want him to be nice to me. I was frustrated that no matter how hard I pushed him away, or tried to provoke him, he wouldn't give up on me or argue with me. I was completely puzzled. And God used him to show me the truth of the gospel.

Then in January of 1992 when, after much wrestling with the Lord, I finally decided to seek God's will in my life, and we began to walk together.

Together...on this journey God called us to.

We didn't have it all figured out and we weren't a perfect couple, there were still mountains to climb.
And we still put our own needs and wants first more than we should.

But God
.

He is always there to gently convict us and bring us back to where we should be.

And I am humbled that this man God has put into my life would still want me to be his beloved.

I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine. Song of Solomon 6:3



No comments:

Post a Comment