Friday, January 21, 2011

Why are some people so resistant to change?

People are always saying that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all has happened.
Kathleen Kelly in You've Got Mail.
By nature my husband and I are both schedulers and list makers. He loves to plan the year and I love to plan the week. I like to have a list of things to do and a menu made and all my errands written down so that I can see them checked off the list. It is sort of a sick fixation.
I had a child who had to have a schedule and if the schedule changed there was a melt down.

Everytime.


Thankfully that changed over time and she learned to adjust to change more easily.
Of course I could more than understand since I was much like that growing up.

I hated change.
Any and all.


And then I married a man who would make the military a career.

The life where you know you are moving in a few months but don't know where. Where you get orders in your hand and start to make plans, like buying a house, and all that changes in moments. Where you are told you will be home for a period of time because you have been deployed too much and then the next week you are called on to deploy. Where all that really matters are the demands of the military.
Ah yes, the military life.

I have learned that schedules and orders and routines can all change with a breath.


Last year our family changed in a big way when our two adult sons moved out and established lives for themselves in different states.

That was hard and I struggled through it.

Then my youngest daughter became a high school senior and attended college classes full time so that for the first time in 18 years I wasn't home schooling and had lots of free time.

And I struggled with that too.

It was as if the identity we had held for the last 20 years shattered in a matter of months.
Our life changed but I adjusted and started making lists again.

I had to learn how to shop and cook for four--three of whom are constantly watching their weight. We exercised regularly and there was less laundry to do. I began to like having hours every week when I could do what I wanted and pursue my interests. We began to develop a new routine and I started to feel so comfortable.

Then more change came our way.

Our son began a courtship, followed very quickly by an engagement.
I needed time to adjust, it was too quick for me.

But once the world righted itself I was back to making lists.

Then the new year came and I realized how little time we had to get our house on the market.

And that this will be our last child's last semester of high school and that she graduates one day and my son is to be married the next.

Then the decision to retire was made and we have to ponder over where we are going to put all our stuff, and us, while we build an addition to our log house in VA.

Oh the lists I have made!

The blessed bliss of making a list of cleaning, and home repair, and chores, that must be done to get us ready for a move and this house ready to sale! mmm hmm

This year should be a planner and list maker's dream come true. Change is here whether we like it or not.

If you need me I'll be making a list.......

No comments:

Post a Comment